Child Custody Attorneys

Father Embracing His Children — Legal Representation in Huntington, WV
In child custody cases, many parents are afraid of losing their rights to make contact with their children and to be required to pay large amounts of child support. Huntington based attornys from Sammons, Olivero, & Paraschos know the importance of fighting aggressively to protect a parent's rights. A child custody or shared parenting agreement protects your child from uncertainly and will insure they are being cared for regardless of the relationship between you and your former spouse. Our Huntington family law attorneys have worked with countless families in the past to arrange shared parenting agreements that both parties can agree on.

Joint Custody / Shared Parenting

There are many important issues that need to be discussed during a divorce or separation; child custody agreements are considered the most critical issues in most divorce cases. It is important that all possible outcomes are evaluated to make the best decision for the child and the family. A skilled West Virginia family law attorney can walk you through this process and discuss options with both parties to formulate an agreement in a thorough and efficient manner.
Legal child custody refers to legal decisions surrounding who is responsible to care and provide residency for a child following a divorce or separation. A parent with legal custody of a child is required by law to make decisions for the child. In medical or educational situations a parent with legal custody is responsible to represent the child's best interests. In most child custody cases, joint legal custody will be decided and both parents will share the right and responsibility to make important decisions for their minor child.


The attorneys at Sammons, Olivero, & Paraschos are experienced in reaching child visitation and shared parenting agreements in matters dealing with visitation. It is important that you discuss your concerns with one of our family law attorneys as soon as possible following a divorce or separation decision. It is in the best interest of you and your child to evaluate all options and work with an attorney to advocate for an outcome in your favor.

Parental Rights

In West Virginia, without an allocation of paternity, unwed fathers have no legal right to child custody or visitation. This means any access to your child's life is controlled by your child's mother. If she cuts off contact or moves out of state, you have no legal recourse.
By obtaining an allocation of parental rights, fathers have the right to custody or visitation arrangements. This also means they can be responsible for child support to financially take care of their children, but they also have input into important decisions about the upbringing of a child including religion, schools, etc.

Grandparent's Rights

Grandparent Custody / Guardianship

Family law and grandparents' rights in West Virginia are intricate and need the expertise of an experienced family lawyer. Our attorneys will help you prove what is in your grandchildren's best interest. If the parents are unfit, we will fight for the best interests of the child and get you custody of your grandchildren. Our West Virginia Grandparents Rights attorneys will help you prove that they custodial parent is absent and you should be granted custody in their stead.

Grandparent Visitation

If you have been denied visitation by the custodial parent for a period of six months or more and your child has been precluded from seeing the child by a court order, in jail, deceased, or in the armed forces more than 100 miles away from the state border, you may be entitled to visitation. Also, if your grandchildren lived with you for an extended period but were removed by the custodial parent, you can seek visitation.


The attorneys at Sammons, Olivero & Paraschos understand that there is an epidemic of drugs in West Virginia that causes parents to be unable to care for their children. Along with the drug problem in our community, there are many other reasons why a guardianship petition may be in the best interest of a child or incompacitated adult. Our Attorneys can move quickly to protect a child in a dangerous situation and gain you guardianship to protect the best interest of the child.

Discuss your case with an experienced Huntington family lawyer at the Sammons, Olivero, & Paraschos law firm today.

Call 304-522-7730 for your free consultation!